Friday 1 June 2007

Requiem of a dream


Thrashing his way through the foliage with branches whipping back at his face with sharp precision and an all mighty sting. He continued to run. Nothing else in his mind except to keep running in a straight line. There were images zipping through his head. None vivid enough for him to pause his mad pursuit of a void. He stumbled and fell headlong through the dirt, dead leaves and thorns. He tasted the filth in his throat.
He got up with an urgency of one who was trying to escape something sinster...
Lungs burning... filth running down his neck... Blood and filth make a startling beverage! for a reason untold his mind let him ponder over that...
And he vomited and fell flat on his back. Breath knocked out of him. But he got up again and started on a mad pursuit. Something was crawling and gnawing at his right leg and it let out sharp sensation every now and then. His eyes were burning now.
Just a silence, broken by the pant of a fearful, petrified animal...
Why ? Why?
Why was he running?
He tried to look back and the ground ended under him.
He could sense how quickly he was nearing impact... He was shouting in a silent scream. He was scared, he was terrified. He struggled with nothing. Every bit of him revolting against his end which seemed in that instant too prolonged, too delayed.
He realised he had shut his eyes tight and that when he opened them with hands infront of his face...
------------
Yah!! With that I sat up on my clammy bed. Again the same one. I was drenched in cold sweat. I got up quickly and stumbled to his toilet.
Blood shot eyes. that's all I could see without the lights.
Splashed water on my face and spat into the basin.
Blood!!!
I quickly let my tongue inspect in panic.
Snapped the lights on. Dried blood lined my teeth...
I was disturbed.
Took the brush and brutally brushed my teeth...
Damn!!!
Cut my gums...
Spat out more blood but atleast now i knew where it came from.
Why do I see that dream? Freud might help me there. Yeah he would figure out you were a twat.
I managed to notice it was raining. Fun day!!
Why was the dream bothering me so much it wasn't the first time.
Some stubs were still smothering in the ash tray. I held one and sucked in all I could. I could never say whether it was nice but it sure burnt me quite a bit. There was relief in that pain. Burnt my fingers on the stub.
F@%&!!! It wasn't as if it was unexpected but I just needed to hear myself.
I could hear my phone ringing somewhere...
I let out some air... Time to get out and get drenched...

8 comments:

Om Hemrajani said...

impressive. good writing dude

DreamCatcher said...

My God!! It was so chilling...!! i can c all the hair standing n shaking...
is it real dream of urs..

Anonymous said...

Pricky...I'm back and here to stay! :) That was a brilliantly written, gripping post! keep writing!! :)
And you know more than one person who can help psychoanalyse that dream!

Me Thinks.. said...

screw the writing..

was the stubs in the ash tray part fiction or real??

H said...

hmmm. you honestly have this dream often?

does it reccur in certain phases in your life or does it return randomly?

powerfully recounted.

Sh'shank said...

@Om: nothing close to yours.
@DC: It wasnt my dream
@Soothsayer: I am glad. And yes if it was my dream I would know where to go. This guy didnt know anyone... ;)
@MT: Screw the writing? just how do you propose to d that?
@H: Its just a hardly story like account. Not one of my dreams

angelofdusk said...

real!!!

Nandi23 said...

Weird,

Seems like the replay of a late night horror movie in the mind,
I was thinking about this today and why do we dream, is there any significance, and I concluded that dreams , mostly aren't very special, since we are slammed with so much during the day, bits and pieces from the media, literature, driving, sitting at a bus stop, eavesdropping, all haphazardly take form at night and aggregate to create a confusing and disjointed saga at night.